The Derby Giving Circle Fund is an example of collective philanthropy.
Nearly 600 USD 260 third-graders covered Panther Stadium to participate in Kansas Kids Fitness Day on Sept. 28.
The 16th annual CJ Memorial Golf Tournament was held at the Derby Golf & Country Club on Sept. 19. The event is the lone fundraising event for the CJ Memorial Foundation.All proceeds benefit organizations that serve individuals with physical or developmental disabilities, specifically or…
Volunteer Christina Garcia (right) and staff person Dr. Jenn Cox (left), were recognized at the Sept. 26 Derby school board meeting as the September recipients of the I Make A Difference Award.
After months of community, committee, staff and school board input, the Derby Board of Education passed a five-year strategic plan at their Sept. 26 meeting. After some minor changes, the vote was 5-2 with School Board President Michael Blankenship and board member Robyn Pearman voting not t…
Fire Chief John Turner spoke at the Sept. 27 city council meeting about this year’s theme “Fire Won’t Wait, Plan Your Escape” for National Fire Prevention Week. Derby Fire and Rescue plans to emphasize education of students in grades K-3 and local daycares about fire prevention by visiting a…
Numbers reveal a need to focus more on academics
A portion of water main along Osage Road between Madison Avenue and Rock Road slated for replacement on Oct. 3 sprung multiple leaks two weeks too soon. Crews from the Derby Public Works Department were faced with five leaks on Sept. 20 and another on Sept. 21.
The City of Derby’s electric scooter program may be gone at the end of this year after the initial 17-month pilot program with Bird Scooters is set to expire. City Council members heard a one-year update from Sarah Gooding, assistant to the city manager at the Sept. 27 meeting.
As part of the district’s latest bond project, all Derby elementary schools received ADA-accessible playground equipment as one main component. However, seeing further need, Tanglewood staff and patrons went beyond that and took on efforts this past year to secure an additional wheelchair-ac…
Derby News Briefs
- Final Third Thursday event is Oct. 20
- DRC hosting Halloween Hullabaloo
- Derby Sing-Off set for Oct. 8
- Legion to hold Italian dinner fundraiser
- County offers flu shots
- USD 260 seeks strategic plan committee members
- McConnell receives aircraft in path of hurricane
- Derby PD holding Coffee with a Cop at Starbucks
- Kansas High School Football Scores [Week 5: Sept. 29-Oct 1]
- Council expresses concerns with scooter program
- Panthers look to avoid upset; Clark gives midterm grades
- Faster tempo, yards after contact boost Panthers over Campus
- First-year recruits leading Panther cross country
- Chili tasting brings out food, fun and smiles
- OPINION: School custodians: our behind-the-scenes heroes
- Hall celebrates retirement from DRC after 18 years
- Thunderbirds address Derby High students
- Slate of fall festivals set to begin