Front of downtown Mulvane building collapses

Part of the front side of a 120-year-old building in downtown Mulvane collapsed on Sunday afternoon. The incident caused debris to litter part of Main Street and created the need for a partial detour to keep traffic away from the area.

A part of a building at 201 W. Main in Mulvane fell at about 3 p.m. Sunday. No injuries or damages to vehicles were reported in the incident and city staff placed barricades on the sidewalk in front of the building to keep pedestrians out of the area.

The incident resulted in the front of the building being pushed out from six to eight inches, according to City Administrator Kent Hixson.

Front of downtown Mulvane building collapses 2

The building parts that fell were bricks and a center window.

About 2-1/2 hours later, at 5:30 p.m., more of the structure fell. Again, there were no injuries or damage.

Hixson said the 30-foot tall building, which is appraised at $121,000, is about 120 years old and one of the oldest downtown. There’s no estimate of the damage cost yet.

The city owns three buildings downtown, including this one, and several vacant lots, through its Land Bank. It sold about eight others.

Hixson believes the issue arose because of the building’s poor roof, which likely leaked water into its front, weighing it down and causing the collapse. Structurally, the building otherwise continues to remain sound, he said.

The building’s occupant, Megan Bryant, and her friends accessed the side and back doors to remove personal items from the building.

She had conducted classes there with her Set Free Dance Studios business and the city will move her and the classes to the nearby Pix Center.

Mulvane Public Works staff responded and barricaded all the eastbound 200 block of West Main Street from First Street to 209 W. Main, setting up a detour.

A private company was contacted to come in and secure the front of the building Sunday evening to keep the rain out.

Its personnel pushed out an east window as it was about to go anyway.

City officials have contacted a structural engineer to look at the building.

“Once the engineer provides an assessment, staff will contact a contractor to get a quote to further secure the building and or to repair the front,” Hixson said.

Right now, his emphasis is on keeping everyone safe and remaining patient in the process.

“We’re taking this one step at a time,” he said.