A white New Year’s was a reality, not a dream, in Derby – as the city recorded 5.5 inches of snow on New Year’s Day 2021.
That was just shy of the 6.5 inches of snow recorded in Wichita – the highest total accumulation on any day since 2000 and the most on New Year’s Day since records began in 1888.
Derby residents made the most of the fresh powder, whether sledding down the hills in High Park, making massive snow creations or enjoying some hot cocoa in a snow fort. Here’s a look at some individuals enjoying their snow day.
Thanks to everyone who shared their photos!
- COURTESY OF LACYNDNA BRUMBAUGH
Hot chocolate in a snow fort.
- COURTESY OF MICHELLE STAPLETON
Making a snow angel.
- COURTESY OF SANDRA HARROLD
Making a snowman.
As featured on
- Stacy Lynn Levi Watson
- STAR bond construction gearing up
- Rushers represent seventh set of wrestling siblings in last 10 years
- New business a sweet deal for former Derby resident
- Vaccination rollout continues in Derby, throughout state
- Smoke on the Plains to return in 2021
- Derby schools to stay in person through first half of February
- Talliano’s closes after nearly three decades in business
- ‘A new beginning’ : Boys hoops ready to get back on court
- ‘Competitive spirit:’ Longtime Derby volunteer, Special Olympics coach recognized